STARBASE 2.0 Mentors are needed!
STARBASE 2.0 Mentor Recruitment Guidelines
The mentor team consists of a “teacher sponsor” and representatives from local S.T.E.M. industries, college students, and members of the military. We do our best to maintain a ratio of 1 mentor for every 3-4 students.
Mentor Recruitment & Selection Guidelines
To serve as a mentor, individuals should have a mix of S.T.E.M. expertise/interest (or the capability to learn S.T.E.M. basics), maturity, and a willingness to serve. The following are guidelines to keep in mind when considering becoming a mentor.
Potential mentors should:
- Be comfortable and enjoy working with middle school students.
- Maintain an interest/background in STEM. For example, mentoring teams may be made up of:
- College/University Students
- Lab technician, Biology teacher, Engineering graduate student
- Software engineer, Aircraft mechanic, Physics teacher
- Mathematics teacher, Nurse, Intern at local software company
Note: We are looking for mentors in every field, career and walk of life. Although STEM knowledge/experience is not mandatory, a mentor should have both the willingness and maturity to take on this responsibility.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to commit to the STARBASE 2.0 schedule in meeting duration/frequency.
- 2 hours per week
- 1 semester (minimum)
- Specific schedules are worked out with schools in advance of mentor training.
- Successfully pass mentor screening including:
- A criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
- Child abuse database (state specific)
- Participate in mentor training.
- Mentor training will be a half-day session (approximately 4 hours) held in August and January for each semester respectively.
Interested parties should contact:
Tim Pendleton, STARBASE 2.0 Coordinator
Office: 478-926-1986, Email: email@example.com
You may complete the following form, print, and deliver it to the STARBASE Robins office. Emailed applications are encouraged.
However, you will need to visit the office as your completed background must be notarized. Please call before coming to make sure the notary will be available.
2018-2019 STARBASE 2.0 Mentor Request Flyer
2018-2019 STARBASE 2.0 Mentor Application Packet