Department of Defense (DoD) STARBASE offers a positive, proven approach to engendering excitement and interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S.T.E.M.). This knowledge is important to our nation’s future because:
• During this decade, employment in science and engineering occupations is expected to increase at almost four times the rate for all occupations.
• In 2015, just 40% of U.S. 4th graders were rated at or above proficient on a National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP); more than 1 in 10 scored below the basic level.
• Only 42% of U.S. high school graduates in 2015 met the ACT College Readiness Benchmark in mathematics and 36% in science.
•The rapid pace of technological change and globalization of the economy, simply demands that our workforce be literate in science and math.
• S.T.E.M. occupations are projected to grow by 17% from 2006 to 2018, compared to 9.8% growth for non-S.T.E.M. occupations.
• An over-reliance on the math and science talent of foreign students represents a major potential weakness in the future competitiveness and vitality of the U.S. economy and workforce.
• Students who attend DoD STARBASE Academies increase their knowledge and skills in S.T.E.M.
• Students who attend DoD STARBASE improve their attitudes about and their confidence in S.T.E.M.
Note: This information was obtained the DoD STARBASE site.