Career Guide Information
The STARBASE Robins 5th Grade Program is a 5-day educational program at the Museum of Aviation. The curriculum is based on the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) content areas. It includes lots of hands-on experiments to foster students’ interest in these areas. One of our aims is to encourage students to consider a career field in these areas. That is why we like to find individuals from the community who are willing to come and talk to a class for about 30 minutes about their career. Listed below are some suggestions of helpful information for discussion between these career guides and students.
- Share the steps you took to achieve success in your career
- Offer ideas of positive actions students can take to help them to achieve their goals
- Emphasize the importance of their education (high school and beyond…)
- Talk about how you solve problems at work
- Talk about how STEM is part of your job
- Talk about how you use teamwork on your job
- Bring in any hands-on devices that you use at work that students can touch and/or make use of visual materials such as pictures, short videos, PowerPoints, etc. to explain aspects of your job (These should be on a flash drive and it would be helpful for us to know ahead of time if you plan to use one.)
After addressing the students for about 20 minutes, allow students to ask questions, but not to invade your privacy (such as how much money you make, your political views, etc.). Do not accept phone numbers and/or addresses from the students.
Anyone who wishes to participate as a STARBASE Career Guide should use the contact information below. You will be notified via e-mail about the dates and time that career guides will be needed in the classrooms.
STARBASE ROBINS, Museum of Aviation, P.O. Box 2469, Warner Robins, GA 31099
Call 478-926-1769 or 478-222-7590
Contact Dawn Pannell at firstname.lastname@example.org